Presentations and publications
Astute observers may notice my conference schedule slowed down a bit after my daughters were born.
- April 15-19, 2019: CMS / DITA North America in Durham, NC. Presenting on the new plugin registry for DITA Open Toolkit, and on how my small team in IBM supports authoring and publishing for 800+ writers across the corporation.
Links may go out of date as conferences remove or archive their content. I try to keep links up to date, so please let me know
if you tried one that no longer works.
- November 5 and 6, 2018: DITA Europe in Rotterdam, Netherlands. Presented "Ask Not What Your DITA-OT Can Do for You…", about who should contribute to DITA-OT and why; co-presented interactive closing panel on the future of DITA, together with Eliot Kimber.
- November 4, 2018: DITA Open Toolkit Day in Rotterdam, Netherlands. Hosted by SyncroSoft.
- October 12, 2018: Presented "DITA 2.0: Strategies for your Content’s Future" at Adobe DITA World.
- April 25, 2018: CMS / DITA North America
- "The future of DITA: Looking ahead!"
- Invited penelist for 2.5 hour session that closed the conference, titled "The Trouble with DITA—Improving DITA Satisfaction Panel
- October 29, 2017: Several presentations at DITA-OT Day 2017 in Berlin, Germany, once again hosted by SyncroSoft. Recordings and slides at http://www.oxygenxml.com/events/2017/dita-ot_day.html. My sessions included:
- Accessibility in DITA-OT
- Generating SVG syntax diagrams with plugins for all output formats
- Managing a large scale build environment with 50+ custom plugins
- Interactive discussion with Jarno Elovirta about what both developers and customers need from DITA-OT
- Closing panel discussion about the future of DITA-OT
- October 24, 2017: State of the DITA Open Toolkit and Open Source Publishing with DITA, at tcworld 2017 in Stuttgart, Germany. Note: Unfortunately, I had to cancel my flight on the day I was scheduled to leave for Stuttgart.
My presentation was delivered by my DITA-OT colleague Roger Sheen, who did an amazing job.
- October 10, 2017: What Is DITA Open Toolkit, and What Should FrameMaker Authors Know About It?, at Adobe DITA World 2017 online conference.
- April 26, 2017: Reprise of "DITA vs DITA-OT: Who gets the credit, who gets the blame?" -- this time with more credit (and more blame!!) -- at CMS / DITA North America in San Diego, CA.
- November 14, 2016: "DITA vs DITA-OT: Who gets the credit, who gets the blame?" at DITA Europe in Munich, Germany.
- November 13, 2016: DITA Open Toolkit Day 2015, organized by SyncroSoft, in Munich, Germany. Recordings and slides at http://www.oxygenxml.com/events/2016/dita-ot_day.html. My sessions included:
- I18N A1D D5T: W1O D2S W2T? (Internationalization and DITA-OT: Who Does What?)
- Testing in DITA-OT (together with Jarno Elovirta)
- Long term DITA-OT Planning (together with Kris Eberlein
- Closing panel: state of DITA Open Toolkit
- April 4, 2016: "DITA-OT 2.x: Discover what’s new in Toolkit Two" at CMS / DITA North America in Reston, Virginia. Slides posted at https://www.slideshare.net/RobertAnderson151/ditaot-2x-discover-whats-new-in-toolkit-two. Note: probably the most fun I've ever had giving a presentation.
- November 16, 2015: "The Keys to the (DITA) Kingdom: Using Indirection without Losing Your Way" (Co-presentation with Kris Eberlein about DITA and Keys) at DITA Europe in Munich, Germany.
- November 15, 2015: DITA Open Toolkit Day 2015, organized by SyncroSoft, in Munich, Germany. Presenting on DITA-OT Patterns and Anti-patterns, plus a lightning talk on startcmd, and another "State of the DITA-OT" panel. Recordings and slides at http://www.oxygenxml.com/events/2015/dita-ot_day.html
- October 19, 2015: Lavacon in New Orleans (http://www.lavacon.org/2015/). Co-presented with Kris Eberlein, "Keeping the Content Train on the Tracks (and on Topic)".
- November 20, 2014: DITA Open Toolkit Day 2014, organized by SyncroSoft, in Munich, Germany. Presented on DITA-OT plugins and participated in the "State of the DITA-OT" panel; video and slides at http://www.oxygenxml.com/events/2014/dita-ot_day.html
- November 18, 2014: "DITA Through the Ages" (DITA past, present, and future) at DITA Europe in Munich, Germany.
- August 6, 2014: DITA 1.3 Webinar, sponsored by OASIS. Available as a PDF download and as a full recording at youtube (including Q&A)
- April 30, 2014: "DITA-OT Panel Discussion: Preparing for the DITA-OT 2.0 release" at Content Management Strategies / DITA North America in Seattle, WA.
- April 16, 2014: History of DITA and DITA 1.3 at the Central Texas DITA User Group (a look at DITA from version 1.0 to the upcoming 1.3).
- April 17, 2013: DITA Open Toolkit Panel Discussion at Content Management Strategies / DITA North America in Providence, RI.
- April 15, 2013: "DITA 1.3: A Look Over the Horizon" at Content Management Strategies / DITA North America in Providence, RI.
- March 28, 2012: Presentation to the Boston and RTP DITA User Groups on Publishing with the DITA Open Toolkit. Thanks to the RTP group for creating a recording of the presentation.
- December 7, 2011: Presentation to the Boston and RTP DITA User Groups on Overriding the DITA Open Toolkit with Plug-ins. For samples (updated repeatedly since 2011), see Sample DITA-OT plug-ins.
- May 16, 2011: The STC Annual Conference in Sacramento, CA. Presenting "DITA Specialization: why would I do that?"
- May 4, 2010: The STC Annual Conference in Dallas, TX. Presenting "<nearly/> Hands Free DITA". As part of the presentation, I used the following resources:
- Metadita skin for WinAnt Echidna: metadita_skin.zip. Unzip and read metadita_skin_README.txt for details.
- Sample Ant build for branding output: metadita_brand.zip. Unzip directly to your DITA-OT install directory and read metadita/README.txt for details.
- February 24, 2010: Presentation to Boston and RTP DITA User Groups on DITA 1.2
- October 27, 2009: Lavacon in New Orleans (http://www.lavacon.org/)
- May 3-6, 2009: DITA 1.2 presentation to the STC Annual Conference in Atlanta, GA
- November 6-8, 2008: The 2008 Lavacon Conference in Honolulu, Hawaii
- August, 2008: Remote presentation for RTP and Austin DITA User Groups
- November, 2007: Silicon Valley DITA Interest group presented on Extending the DITA-OT
- October 28-30, 2007: The 2007 Lavacon Conference in New Orleans, LA
- October 4-6, 2007: DITA 2007 in Raleigh, NC. 3 presentation sessions: Installing and using the DITA-OT; Specialization from Scratch; Extending the DITA-OT with plug-ins.
Updated presentation materials for DITA 2007 can be found here.
- May 13-16, 2007: The STC Conference in Minneapolis, MN
- March 23-25, 2006: DITA 2006 in Raleigh, NC